Business (P.W. Sims)
St. Lawrence offers a three-year career program, the P.W. Sims Business Program, named to honour a generous donor and well-respected Quebec City businessman. Graduates can enter the workforce directly after obtaining their Diploma of College Studies (DEC), or they can continue their studies at university. St. Lawrence has DEC-BAC agreements with several universities, so that graduates with strong academic results from the program can complete university more quickly.
Why choose a three-year career program? The program allows students to study business in-depth while at CEGEP. The practical focus includes two internships: one at the end of second year (for three weeks) and one at the end of third year (for six weeks). Both employers and universities recognize the value of this hands-on approach. Employers often contact the college to hire graduates who can work in English and French, and an increasing number of universities recognize some of the courses in the program for university credit.
In order to be admitted, students must satisfy the college general admission requirements and have the following pre-requisites:
University Profile (with Math): TS 5 or SN 5, for students considering Business studies at university; or
- Workforce Profile: TS 4 or SN 4, for students who are not considering university.
University Profile (with Math)
Many graduates of the program choose to go on to university in business administration or other fields. Students who are considering business studies at university should follow the University Profile while at St. Lawrence. The University Profile includes two math courses to meet university admission requirements in business. The specific courses to select depend on the university. Counselling Services can give more information on the math requirements for a particular university's business program, or on the requirements for other university programs.
For students with strong academic results in the P.W. Sims Business Program, St. Lawrence has agreements with several Canadian universities to recognize courses from our program:
- DEC-BAC agreements with Université Laval and Bishop’s University, enabling P.W. Sims graduates to obtain a Diploma of College Studies and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration in 5 years (3 years at St. Lawrence and 2 years in university), or similar recognition at the Lévis campus of Université du Québec à Rimouski; and
- course recognition arrangements with Concordia University, which recognizes up to 2 course pre-requisites and up to 3 courses for advanced standing.
The P.W. Sims Business Program also has a 3 + 1 arrangement (3 years at St. Lawrence and 1 year in university) with Griffith University, located on the beautiful Gold Coast of Australia. P.W. Sims graduates with an overall average of 75% or higher can study at Griffith and graduate with a Bachelor’s of International Business after one year of studies.
University is also an option for students whose academic results at St. Lawrence are not high enough to qualify for DEC-BAC agreements. The most important requirement for our graduates is to have passed all the math requirements set by a university. That is why it is important for anyone interested in eventually attending university to follow the University Profile.
Immediately upon graduating, graduates have the opportunity to put their diploma to use in the workforce. Normally, students who are not considering university take the Workforce Profile, since they will not need math courses that are built into the University Profile. However, all graduates of our program can opt for full-time work upon graduation.
P.W. Sims graduates find positions in all areas of business, including:
- human resource management;
- information management; and
- operations management.
Some graduates also run their own business.
At St. Lawrence, we mean business!
This is what we have to offer:
- the opportunity to develop English language skills important in business;
- preparation for the workplace within three years, in all areas of business;
- a business-oriented diploma that can be combined with university studies or career interests in many areas;
- close contact with teachers and fellow students, resulting in high satisfaction ratings and strong graduation rates;
- an opportunity to stay up-to-date with computer software;
- company contacts, speakers and visits;
- a strategic relationship with Quebec City`s highly regarded insurance industry, including optional free training to open doors to careers in the industry;
- two internships, in businesses chosen by students, at the end of the second year (for three weeks) and before graduation at the end of the third year (for six weeks);
- faculty members from some of Canada’s top business schools;
- financial assistance for students in need;
- the P.W. Sims Entrance Scholarship in the amount of $500 offered to the student with the highest academic average entering the program;
- the possibility of participating in an exchange with another Canadian educational institution in the fourth semester;
- the P.W. Sims Award of $2000 offered to a St. Lawrence graduate contemplating university studies in Commerce or Administration.
If you are not in the Business Program and are interested, or know others who are interested, we suggest a day (or half-day) visit as a Student-for-a-Day.
Contact email@example.com for more information.